McNair Scholars Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 Semester Contact Information:
Dr. Renee Gilberti, Program Coordinator
Virtual office hours: M – F, 830am – 430pm
Office phone: (860) 486-5146 – leave a voice message and also send an email.
Webex for virtual visits: https://uconn-cmr.webex.com/meet/rmg03003
Sign up to visit via webex: https://nexus.uconn.edu/secure_per/schedule1.php?stser=366
The McNair Scholars Program prepares talented, highly motivated UConn undergraduate students for doctoral studies in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) disciplines. As part of UConn’s TRIO programs, McNair is open to low-income, first-generation college students or those from populations underrepresented in STEM graduate fields who are seeking to pursue a Ph.D. degree.
McNair Scholars are paired with faculty mentors for academic enrichment, research, and internships. Students also participate in workshops, seminars, and conferences designed to help them secure admission to doctoral programs and obtain financial resources for graduate study.
The McNair Edge
UConn McNair Scholars participate in unique programming and educational activities designed to give them a competitive edge when applying to graduate school and to prepare them for success in their pursuit of a Ph.D. degree. Benefits of the program include:
- Conducting research during the summer and academic year under the guidance of a faculty mentor
- Receiving McNair funds for summer research
- Room, board, and other costs associated with summer research paid for by the McNair program
- Traveling to professional conferences related to academic interests and research
- Opportunities to present and publish research
- Building a strong GPA with the help of tutoring and academic assistance
- Assistance with the graduate school application process, including GRE preparation and application fee waivers
- Workshops and credit courses designed to prepare scholars for postgraduate study
- A close mentoring experience with the McNair Scholars Program Coordinator and a faculty advisor who knows the ins and outs of Ph.D. study in the student’s selected field
McNair Scholars Present Research at Annual Poster Exhibition
McNair Scholars Pursue Path to STEM Success
Summertime is Research Time for McNair Scholars
UConn Receives McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program
Whether or not you reach your goals in life depends entirely on how you prepare for them and how badly you want them. You’re eagles! Stretch your wings and fly to the sky!